
The Help II
Initially Skeeter began writing her novel to get the attention of editor Elaine Stein, but eventually it became so much more. Skeeter Phelan is different from all of the other women in town because she stands up for the help. Yes, she does conform to the same social behaviors as her friends do; However, there is something different about Skeeter that allows her to think differently from other women in Jackson, Mississippi. Perhaps Constantine raised her with special morals, but personally I believe that by furthering her education Skeeter was able to become more aware of serious issues in not only the nation but more primarily, her hometown. Her insight allowed her to thoroughly examine the issues that were currently going on regarding racism in her community rather than overlooking the problem as others did. Severeness of the segregation, unfairness and brutalization of blacks in Jackson is unmasked to Skeeter during her interviews.
Nadia Haris's article Ideas on Reaching Teen Girls expresses "Groups and seminars that promote informative discussion on these topics helps girls feel more in control and better informed of the issues. This type of education can help teenage girls learn the best ways to impact change." This research shows why Skeeter might often question authority figures. She might have never discovered what she did if she chose to not further her education. Skeeter was never one to believe any rude things that have been said about the help, but after interviewing the maids and hearing their stories she is able to see what is truly going on. This is when she realizes that the problems going on in her hometown are so much more serious than made out to be. Skeeter has always been a pioneer, but college allowed her to become innovative and further motivate her to reveal the injustice occurring in Jackson. Initially Skeeter began writing her novel to get the attention of editor Elaine Stein, but eventually it became so much more.
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/ideas-reaching-teen-girls-13948.html
Hi Maeve I enjoyed your blog you definitely brought up a point that I haven't thought of yet. Education is an interesting subject when concerning The Help and I wonder if the fact that Skeeter has a more advanced education than the other girls if thats what motivated her to start the book. I think its a cool theory but I also think that from the start Skeeter was different from the girls and I don't know if thats necessarily from college but in my opinion I still think she would have written the book if she hadn't gone to college.
ReplyDelete